Tests on materials and components
The Institute has an accredited (DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005) and certified (DIN EN ISO 9001:2000-12) material testing laboratory.
For determining technical data relating to materials and adhesives, the laboratory possesses electro-mechanic testing machines up to 120 kN with accessories for simulating climatic and environmental effects. Uni-axial and multi-axial servo-hydraulic testing machines up to 400 kN are available for the determination of fatigue properties of materials and components as well as bonded and hybrid joints. These systems allow simultaneous exposure to temperature, moisture and corrosive media. In order to measure fine strain, the laboratory possesses incremental position sensors, extensometers and strain gauges as well as optical, contact-free 1D - 3D measuring systems with which on-site measurements can be performed.
The properties of bonded and hybrid joints at high loading rates (crash) in the temperature range from -60°C to 120°C can be studied using testing machines with a maximum speed of 30 m/s. For high-speed measurement of position and deformation, the laboratory provides optical systems having a time resolution of up to 500,000 images/second.
Examples of tests that can be carried out:
- Tensile tests on polymeric materials and joints at up to 30 m/s test speed
- Lap shear test on bonded and hybrid single lap joints und peel test on bonded and hybrid KSII/2 samples at up to 30 m/s test speed
- Impact peel strength in accordance with ISO 11343:1993-08
- S-N curves for adhesives and bonded joints
- Measurement of the energy release rates GIC and GIIC for bonded metals and fibre reinforced composite materials
- Crack growth tests and determination of DK vs. da/dN curves for bonded joints
- Measurement of the bonding properties of adhesive samples
- Material tests to determine the parameters of material models for Finite Element Analysis
- Ageing tests on materials and components under different climatic conditions
- DIN 54451 and DIN EN 1465 - Determination of the lap shear strength of bonded high-strength lap joints.
- DIN EN 2243-6 - Determination of the shear stress and shear strain of structural adhesives.
Tests on glass fibre reinforced plastics (GFRP) and carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP) in accordance with the following standards:
- DIN EN ISO 1172 - Determination of the textile-glass and mineral filler content using the calcination method
- DIN EN 2564 - Determination of the fibre and resin contents of carbon fibre laminates
- DIN EN 2377- Determination of the apparent inter-laminar shear strength of glass fibre reinforced plastics
- DIN EN ISO 527 Parts 1 to 5 - Determination of the tensile properties of plastics, moulded materials, extruded materials and fibre reinforced plastic laminates
- DIN EN ISO 14125 - Determination of the bending properties of fibre reinforced laminates
- DIN EN 2562 - Bending test parallel to the fibre direction on uni-directional carbon fibre laminates
- DIN EN 2561 - Tensile test parallel to the fibre direction on carbon fibre reinforced plastics
- Compression test on plastics and fibre reinforced laminates
- DIN EN 2850 - Compression test parallel to the fibre direction on carbon fibre reinforced plastics
Diverse tests in accordance with AITM (Airbus Industrie Test Method).
Special tests on bonded and hybrid-joined components.
Development of qualification and certification concepts.
Dimensioning of bonded and hybrid joints, determination of characteristic parameters and partial safety factors.