The properties of laminated materials depend to a considerable extent on the chemical properties and structure of the interfaces in those materials. Damage to such materials is often due to defects at interfaces and surfaces. Fraunhofer IFAM provides a range of services in the area of failure/damage analysis, corrosion protection, and surface pre-treatment of metals, fiber reinforced plastics and polymers in order to investigate the causes of failure/damage and develop measures to prevent further damage.
- Quality assurance concepts for assessing surface properties (cleanliness, pre-treatment, functionalization)
- Debonding of bonded joints
- Delamination of coatings, crater formation
- Optimization of cleaning and pre-treatment processes
- Corrosion damage
- Corrosion tests in accredited corrosion testing laboratory (DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025)
- Consultancy on corrosion protection measures
- Corrosion tests on CFRP-metal joints
Surface pre-treatment of metal and non-metal components
- Corrosion protection coatings
- Wet chemical cleaning methods
- Pickling processes
- Biofunctional coatings
The range of available analyses includes surface analysis, electron microscopy, electrochemical methods and other informative characterization and test methods.
Due to extensive analytical facilities and in-depth experience of Fraunhofer IFAM it is possible to undertake a diverse range of services in the area of quality assurance and failure/damage analysis at short notice.